Which Religion Is Right?
"How can I know which religious group is right? I am confused about so many kinds of religions."
The standard of faith and practice is Holy Scripture, the Bible (1 John 4:1).
Here are some guidelines for testing any religious group:
- Does the group affirm that God the Father sent His Son to be the Savior of the world?
- That Jesus is God's Son, divine in His nature?
- Does the group confess that Jesus Christ became incarnate, that is, God in human flesh?
- Does the group confess Jesus rose in bodily form from the dead and ascended into heaven?
- Does the group agree with the authority of Christ and of the apostles, such as John, Peter, and Paul?
- Does the group give evidence to the love of God? Or, is there cold legalism?
- Does the group believe in the reality and sinfulness of sin?
- Does the group accept the merits of Christ's shed blood for cleansing and forgiveness of sins?
- Does the group believe in the gift of the Holy Spirit? And that He can be within and upon the believer?
Here is a core list of Scripture verses on these matters:
Matthew 16:16; Acts 4:12; 1 John 4:14-15; John 1:14; 1 Corinthians; 15:12-20; 1 Timothy 3:16; 1 John 4:2; 1 John 4:4-6; 1 John 4:7-8; Romans 5:12,18, 21; Matthew 26:28; 1 John 1:7; Romans 8:16; Galatians 4:6; 1 John 4:13
Be considerate in your approach to sincere seekers after truth, whose religious beliefs do not conform to those just mentioned.
Only a living radiant Jesus, presented in love, can win their hearts! See John 10:10 and 1 John 5:11-12.